Sunday, January 15, 2012

Let the good times roll.

Share it Please
So besides the other amazing things that happened this past year, I failed to mention that I also joined a bunco/ recipe club. This is a group that meets the second friday of every month to play the famous game of bunco and to test our cooking skills.

For any of you that know me well at all, know that I'm not a huge cook. So I like that I am involved in something that is forcing me to test out some recipes and expand my cooking skills. Each month we have a theme for what the food has to be, some examples: something with tomatoes, something with chocolate, something made in muffin tins, red white and blue dishes, casseroles, etc. Each month, we also vote on the best savory and the best sweet dish.

This month the theme was breakfast, and this month, my friends I took home the title for the best sweet dish. The winning dish was: Blueberry Pancake Cupcakes with Maple Buttercream Frosting. (and I meant to take a picture, but ate them all before I had the chance). So for all of those inquiring (via FB), here is my award winning recipe:

Blueberry Pancake Cupcakes (makes 2 dozen)
-3 cups all purpose flour
-2 tsp baking powder
-1/2 tsp salt
-1 cup butter (2 sticks), room temperature
-1 1/3 cup granulated sugar
-4 large eggs
-2 tsp vanilla extract
-2/3 cup buttermilk
-Fresh blueberries
-¼ cup of syrup

Preheat oven to 350F. Line 24 muffin tins with paper liners. In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Reserve about ¼ cup. In a standing mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing after each and add vanilla extract. While mixing, slowly add buttermilk. Gradually add flour mixture until combined, do not over mix.Toss blueberries with reserved flour mixture.Fold in blueberries. Scoop into prepared pans filling about 2/3 full. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely before frosting.

And for the frosting:

Maple Buttercream

-1 cup butter (2 sticks), room temperature
-4 cups confectioners sugar
-1/3 cup maple syrup

Cream butter in stand mixer for 2 minutes. Slowly add 2 cups of confectioners sugar. Then add maple syrup and finally add the final 2 cups of confections sugar. And then, of course, frost! And wa-la! perfection!

No comments :